Wednesday 22 August 2007

Birthdays

I was watching some programme on BBC1 tonight, and they asked "how many people do you think you would need to ask, before you found 2 people with the same birthday?"

Having always been extremely annoyed that the one 'famous' person (or only other person I know of) who shares my birthday is Mariah bleeding Carey, I thought the answer was likely to be 100's, but apparently, it's only 35!

A reporter conducted an experiment to prove this theory. Firstly he asked a female passerby what she thought, and she went along the lines of 100's. He then bet her £20 that it would be less than 35! She agreed, and they proceeded to stop other people and mark off their birthdays on a calender. As this was going on, I thought "Grrrr Mariah Carey. Grrr!"

By the time they were up to about 25 passers by, the woman was feeling very confident that she was going to be £20 better off! A few people more, and they got a direct match!

And guess what the birthday was??? 27th March. Which is my one!

So ner to Mariah!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother shares a birthday with you but sadly he isn't famous either. He was born in 1972 - a mere sroglette! You also share your birthday with Quentin Tarantino, Michael York and Gloria Swanson and I share mine with Fred Durst, Robert Plant the cool Issac Hayes! http://www.famousbirthdays.com/

Love, Mrs ~ X ~

Ruthie said...

Woo Hoo, Mariah is definitely to the bottom of the list now! I'd much prefer to share my birthday with the likes of Master Miggins, Quentin, Michael and Gloria than that moaning minnie! I mean, moaning Mariah!

Anonymous said...

Did they explain the maths? First I was thinking of the square root of 365, but that's not right. Then I thought that with person 2 it'd be 1 in 365, person 3 = 2 in half of 365, person 3 = 3 in a third of 365....

...so person 30 would be 29 in 365/30 = roughly 1! So I've solved it!!!!

I can got to bed in peace now.

Ruthie said...

Blimey Whoppy! Methinks you might have too much time on your hands now you've sorted out your move! ;o)

As for the maths, they did explain it, but a full 10 hours has passed since, so I've forgotten it!

oops!
x