Tuesday 24 July 2007

Commuting, part 605

Here's a simple commuting equation:

driver's carriage + leak + electrics = 8 carriages reduced to 4 = not a happy journey for moi!

A very sweet old man, dressed in waterproofs, with a cup of tea in one of those Thermal Cups, sat next to me on the train this morning. He made me feel all sort of "aw, cute grandad"

After a while, as I started to snooze, I started to get flashbacks to the caravan holidays I endured as a child {Note: not that there's anything wrong with caravan holidays, but on a slow-blog day, remind me to tell you about some of our exciting caravan adventures} These "flashbacks" started to freak me out a bit, and I couldn't work out why I was having them.

Eventually I realised, it was the waterproofs... they had a faint "not quite dried out" aroma... not in a bad way, but one that obviously triggered some remote memory of putting not-quite-dry waterproofs on, so I could trek across the campsite to go to the "Site toilet" - {one of dad's STRICT rules was that the caravan toilet could only be used for number 1's at night-time, although apparently he was exempt from this rule, as he emptied it!}

In addition to this, there were 2 bints sitting in my carriage that insisted on talking "shop" at 6.06 in the bleeding morning, for 34.2 minutes. How blooming inconsiderate is that? They need to get a life!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can actually solve that formula by converting it into a balanced equation: simply add / (bottle of decent wine in the Cruthced Friar+Dinner in Thai Square)* get an emptier, later train home full of nice food and a bit tipsy=Great Journey Home.
As for the two bints, I have an idea I've been meaning to try out but you're welcome to give it a go if you like. What you do is look intently at them whilst they're talking and nod your head, maybe with the odd "hmmmm" thrown in, like you're involved in their conversation, as they quite clearly want everyone else in the carriage to be. I'm intrigued to know whether they'll stop talking, get up and move, or get annoyed. If you try it let me know what happens ;)

Ruthie said...

Thankfully the two bints haven't been on the train since - thank Gawd! I might try that tip one evening, if a similar thing happens - but that early in the morning, I can just about raise a scowl!

How's the house hunting going?

Anonymous said...

I gues you could always just start twitching like a muderous psycopath, that'd probably do the trick as well :)
It's going well ta, we've found a place in Rochford. The survey and searches and stuff have been done so we're just waiting for the contracts to be sorted. There's no chain so hopefully it will all be over and done with pretty quickly.

Ruthie said...

I do that anyway ;o)

Congrats - and here's hoping there are no hitches!

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new pad!

x