Sunday 8 July 2007

My lovely door!

I don't want to give the impression that my house, and everything in it, is falling to bits, but, a few weeks ago I had to get a new front door fitted, as the old one was knackered, and only someone with special "heroes/ jedi" powers could lock it properly [that's me, by the way]!

As per usual, there was a bit of a "saga" with this... I was let down by one company several times (Thermoshield), and ended up going to a company called Dalmatian (totally recommend - family firm, unbelievably cheap but good quality doors).

I bought the house 10 years ago, when it was a "reposession" property, and had been vacant for over a year. It needed a lot of work doing to it, as the previous owners had ripped out some of the fixtures/ fittings etc. Also, one of the owners was a bit of a DIY fanatic, but not a very good one.... and is kind of responsible for the problems I had trying to get a new front door!

Anyway, the security firm came this week, and attached the alarm fittings to the new door, so it's all done now! Well, sort of, because now I have to decorate, as some of the paintwork is chipped etc, as you'd expect.

So I've sugar soaped, and am already to put off the painting til I can be arsed! Which will probably be about the same time as I finish the tortoise pen!

But out of interest, what order am I meant to paint in? Is it ceiling, woodwork, walls? Or ceiling walls, woodwork? And any volunteers? Nope? Didn't think so!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to offer some advice on painting order, however we're only just about to buy our first house so I've got painting to look forward to. I didn't even know you had to sugar soap. Is that to make you clean so that you don't get any dirt on the walls whilst you're painting? ;)
I'd assume the best course of action is to work from top to bottom i.e. Ceiling, walls, then skirts to avoid drippage. I'm probably completely off the mark though.

Ruthie said...

Poor you with the WHOLE house to paint - you might have to throw a house decorating party, rather than a house warming one!

Preparation is the WORST part of painting - I hate it!

Still haven't done the painting yet - way toooooo lazy!

Anonymous said...

Ex Mr Miggins who does decorating for a living says - ''ceiling, skirting then walls. The trick to not getting paint on the skirting and ceiling while doing the walls is to 'cut into' the edges with a small angled brush and have a damp cloth handy just in case. Use a roller on the walls and ALWAYS use dust sheets!

Love Mrs M ~ X ~

Ruthie said...

Woah! Way too technical! But thank you for finding out for me!

My prediction for my decorating (when I actually get round to it) is that:
Will start painting ceiling - get loads of paint on my face and in my hair, then finally give up when a blob goes in my eye! Will then start painting the skirting boards. Realise I haven't sanded them down, then give up on those too. End up just painting over the "scuffed" bits on the walls.

Feel so exhausted from the manual labour, will take a week off work to recover!

OR/

Never get round to doing it anyway!