Tuesday 17 April 2007

Sleeping and commuting

After my great night's sleep Saturday, I ended up with a rubbish night's sleep on Sunday... to the point where I was having trouble dragging myself out of bed... as soon as I got onto the train I fell asleep, only to be woken at the very next station by two people having an argument about "pushing in," as they got onto the train - wtf? There were only 3 people in our carriage, so it wasn't like they weren't going to get a seat!!! Still, fell straight back to sleep again, and didn't wake up til Fenchurch Street. Luckily I hadn't dribbled....

I spent the whole day fighting to keep my eyes open, and even resorted to drinking Coke Light, which is all I could get in the local shops, and it tastes foul.... reminds me a bit of India, as you couldn't get Diet Coke there either! The caffeine didn't do the trick though, so it wasn't a particularly productive day!

The journey home was even worse, as it was hot, and the air conditioning wasn't on... about 5 minutes into the journey, I reckon EVERYONE was asleep. I only woke up when my phone rang, and I was so pathetically zombified I could barely hold a conversation (sorry Alan).

Then when I actually got into bed that night, I couldn't sleep for aaaaages! How annoying, and typical, is that!?!?!

Today the air conditioning was on, but my sleep was interrupted by foreign crying girl (I wish I knew what language she was speaking) who was having her monthly argument on her mobile at the top of her voice! Actually, I feel a bit bad about saying it's a "monthly" argument - I wasn't referring to her hormones, I just meant that she has an argument with someone at least once every month!!! If you know what I mean... er, maybe I'll just shut my hypocritical trap up now!

4 comments:

Gina said...

It is shameless. Even in a blog about lack of sleep you manage to get in 'reminds me of India..' ;0)

Unknown said...

I just can’t sleep on trains - paranoia of waking up in Edinburgh kicks in. I struggle to sleep on planes and you can’t really miss your stop with that!
Recently on a late night trip home I witnessed the ticket inspector waking up a (dribbling) young lady, she was spark out and took some rousing.
Once she did though all hell broke loose – she clearly had no idea where she was or what was happening and her first reaction was to launch into a tirade of abuse at the poor guy (touching her, waking her, talking to her) – the poor guy backed off explaining that he was only trying to help her out! Turns out she was a good hour north of where she should have got off.

To think I almost played the good Samaritan in waking her up!

sleep if you will but don’t dribble and wear a sign around your neck saying ‘wake me up at ***, please”, it will save us blokes 'the should I/shouldn’t I' conundrum!

dave ~ www.cuttsy.com

Paula said...

18th April - Thanks for the text mesages during your trip home this evening! Sounds like the journey was a LOT more entertaining!
PaulaBxx

Ruthie said...

Gina - you know I'm a bit like Uncle Albert (during the war...) with my India trips, but seeing as I get daily reminders of it (in a bad way), I feel you all have to suffer too ;o)

Cuttsy - thanks for the tip, I've bought some post-it notes today! Luckily I'm get on/off at both ends of the line, so I'm never worried about going past my stop... although ending up going back the other way is a concern!!!

And as for you PaulaBxx, it was definitely more entertaining, if not a bit of an anti-climax!!!! Catch up soon!