Sunday 20 May 2007

the techno guru

I've driven to 3 places this week where I've needed a route planner. For 2 of the journeys, I used Multimap and AA Planner.... for the Leicester trip, they were both pretty similar, but for the other place, they gave different "estimated times" and the AA Planner missed out a whole road! Apart from that, they were really useful!

On Friday, I was running a bit late, and didn't have time to check either website. I was picking up Mr Robbo on the way to Whoppy's Quiz Night, and hoped that he knew the way!

Well, blow me, Mr Robbo gets in the car, places this tiny box on the dashboard, and then starts fiddling with his mobile phone. Mr Robbo then starts talking about GPS address or locations, which completely confused me, and I think I just said "yes", even though he didn't actually ask me a question!

Turns out Mr Robbo is up to date with technology (where does he learn about these things?), and can get Sat Nav through his mobile phone!!!

What an impressive bit of kit - telling me how fast I was going, how many minutes to go..... I felt like I was in an episode of 24 (obviously minus the shootings, Jack Bauer, CTU and being involved in a terrorist plot that would result in the loss of hundreds and thousands of lives)!!!

Oh, and if you were interested, we came a respectable joint 3rd!

No comments: