Sunday 6 May 2007

What am I allowed to say?

Following on from Paula's comments on Whoppy's Whinge, I'm beginning to get really confused about what is "acceptable" to say, and what is deemed "politically incorrect" or "racist". I'm also a bit unsure of how Freedom of Speech sits with Political Correctness - explanations welcome!

While growing up, I don't remember taking skin colour/ religious beliefs/ disability/ ability/ sexual orientation/ shape/ size/ stereotypes/ appearance etc into consideration when making friends, or forming opinions of people, but I certainly told the odd Englishman/ Irishman/ Scotsman joke, or used labels such as Geordie/ Scouser/ Cockney etc, without a second thought. These days, it's deemed unacceptable to tell this type of joke, in case someone is offended.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me when a "joke" stopped being a "joke", and became politically incorrect? It definitely wasn't in the early 90's, when Essex Girl/ Blonde jokes were in circulation - and if these had come into circulation in this day and age, would they be classed as racist, or deemed acceptable as Essex girls are too thick to understand them? [relax, I'm an Essex girl, so it's okay for me to say that, er, I think - just in case, apologies to any Essex girl I just offended!]

Sorry, slight digression.... so, can anyone help me with my confusion? What am I, or not, allowed to say - for example, what is the correct description of someone who isn't very tall? Should I refer to them as 'vertically challenged'? Can I say someone is 'handicapped' or 'disabled', or is there a more acceptable term? Is the word 'fat' okay to use, or should I refer to my 'obese arse' rather than my 'fat lardy arse'?

Lordy, forget Wilkepedia, there should be an online politically correct terminology reference book for thickos like me!!!

p.s. can I say thickos?

8 comments:

steverobbo said...

There are still a few groups that the media tend to find easy targets, and therefore find it ok to take the mickey out of:-
Ginger people and scousers.

If you're a strawberry blonde from the Wirrall, I'm not so sure.

Ruthie said...

This is soooo confusing! How come its ok to take the mickey out of them, but not others?

Paula said...

http://www.pcphrases.com/

Hey Roo, check out the above link.....made me giggle. it has all sorts of suggestions for PC terms. ooooooooooo and you should hear how nursery rhymes have been altered.........stark raving bonkers, where is it all going to stop?PaulaBxx

Ruthie said...

Interesting site...

I'm hoping that's a tongue-in-cheek one though!
x

Anonymous said...

I find it quite ironic that in a day and age when an increasing number of people can't be bothered to go out and vote, more and more people seem to have an opinion about what isn't "politically" correct. Hell, say what you want. If it offends someone and they've taken it the wrong way, apologise and explain how it was meant. Politicians get to dictate too much how we live our lives already, don't let them decide what you're allowed to say ;)

Ruthie said...

Hello Wayne, and thank you for raising such a good point!

My heart agrees with you, unfortunately, my bank balance doesn't, and my monthly statement reminds me I'd better make sure I don't say the wrong thing in case I get sued!

;o)

Anonymous said...

Well I guess maybe there's a way around that. The fantastic legal disclaimer that is the word allegedly. For example "I met a man called Dave. Some might allege that Dave is a big, fat, sloping shouldered, ginger, halfwitted, monkey."
You're not necessarily saying it but someone else might :o)))

Ruthie said...

Genius!

So as long as I follow everything I say with "allegedly" or start it with "it's like they say..." or "I've heard it say that..." then that's my very own disclaimer!

Thanks for the tip!
x